Our Roots Run Deep - Over 4 Decades
In 1956, James E Rapalee took the Northwestern School of Taxidermy correspondence course through the mail. Jim’s hobby turned into a full time career in 1970 when he opened Rapalee Taxidermy. He soon outgrew the first location, a workshop behind Jim’s house in Goochland County. The second location at 4971 River Road West featured a showroom filled with Virginia game, a collection of non-typical deer antlers and other North American big game species.
Todd Rapalee began helping his father at the shop as far back as he can remember. He became full time in 1988. In 1997 Todd took over full operation of the business. Over the years he has taken the business to another level through creative taxidermy designs of trophy animals from around the globe. In need of more showroom and work space plans were drawn and a new state of the art facility was opened at 4975 River Road West in Goochland in 2003.
Dillon Rapalee like his father, grew up around the taxidermy business. Dillon became full time in 2012. Along with his taxidermy skills, Dillon developed and maintains our most recent website. He strives to keep the business current and relevant in the ever-changing world of technology.